INQUIRE (kKEY)

The information I gained for the past 3-4 months has been essential to the way the project was dealt with. Even though we went through numerous other narrative alternatives, the style was consistent, at least in my mind.

I owe the most gratitude to the information gathered on the way our brain work, research without which my interpretation of the word memory would have been a lot less insightful. I heard other ways I could have used the word memory but to this point they have all been “unsatisfactory”.

After reading about this, and other readings, I came to the realization that when we dream we just have the idea of images and sounds in our head without anything being there apart from chemical reactions. So the visualization of a dream or memory will have a very surrealist tone to it and so will the “sounds” we hear.

This information had me make 2 decisions: That the narrative structure will have to be broken down in some way and that the audio, although it will be there in the support of the video, it will act semi-independently, helping me express the idea of a dream better.

Visit at the museum: I cannot remember the first time we went to the museum, it must have been in the first term, but after that, I have been there at least another half-dozen times along with people in my group (memory). At the museum we experimented with film and photography and is the place where Tristan Dale developed the “slideshow” like camera technique that we later used in our short as a way of remembering things through a symbol of memory, the image.      

Body rig: we wanted to get shots of the main character walking< seen from his point of view< as a handheld camera would make the image to shaky we had to create a DIY rig. We resolved this problem by strapping a small tripod to his chest while the camera points down at his feet.

Collaboration was an important aspect during Unit X and it allowed me to develop my communication skills as a team. As I worked in two different groups for this unit, Everyday and Memory, I got to collaborate with quite a few people. The first project for unit X that I worked on was task 1 where we were supposed to do a short 1min film on the theme “Everyday” and have Orange as an integral part of this short. The short shows 1 day of life, it starts with a shot of a building at night, it continues showing us everyday activities then it finishes back at the shot of the building, closing the circle. This is a simplified explanation but it’ll do.

The same day I went out with the memory group and shot the other short for task 1. This time I took a different approach. Having talked in class about Dogma 95 got me thinking if I could do a short dogma film. We downloaded the rules and went out shooting. The result was interesting, at least. It is about us planning what we’re going to buy from the shop … I think I have to read more about Dogma 95.

Most of the choices made for task 3 were made in order to be as efficient as possible. The weekend before the hand-in was here and all we had was a complex script and 2 people as crew plus 1 talent. That morning some “executive” decisions were made in order to deal with the script and the result is a movie about a dream. I will dedicate a post to explaining the my view of the film.